Mark Martin Race Summary: No. 55 Aaron’s Dream Machine Toyota driver Mark Martin finished tenth in Sunday night’s 500-mile NASCAR Sprint Cup race at Atlanta Motor Speedway. The Michael Waltrip Racing driver started sixth and showed throughout the race had one of the fastest cars on the track. Martin lost spots on restarts, but regained those spots as the race progressed with long green flag runs. Martin. The 10th-place finish is his sixth of the 2012 season. The No. 55 returns to action Saturday night at Richmond International Raceway. Martin’s teammates Clint Bowyer and Martin Truex Jr. earned MWR its first two berths in the 12-driver Chase for the NASCAR Sprint Cup field
- Started sixth and finished tenth
- Climbed as high as fourth in the early going.
- Lost spots on restarts, but excelled during long green flag runs.
- Has posted six top-10 finishes in 2012.
MARTIN: ““We had really a lot better race car than we finished. It’s just we got set back several times. Most of them were my fault. I had a couple of really bad situations I got myself in on restarts a couple times and got us way behind.”
ON TRUEX AND BOWYER EARNING CHASE BERTHS: “This is an amazing night for Michael Waltrip Racing. We’ve all seen how far this team has come in just a few years. There have been so many people who’ve worked so hard for this and I’m very happy for everyone. This is just the start of many good things. The folks at Aaron’s need to take great pride in tonight. They’ve been with Michael and the race team from the start and tonight they’ve been rewarded. I just wish Martin could have got that win.”
- Denny Hamlin won the race by 0.378 seconds over second place finisher Jeff Gordon
- Brad Keselowski, Truex and Kevin Harvick rounded out the top-five finishers.
- The race took 3 hours and 32 minutes.
- The race featured 18 lead changes among seven drivers.
- Six cautions slowed the race for 31 laps.
- NASCAR estimated the attendance at 90,300.