Mark Martin Race Summary: No. 55 Aaron’s Dream Machine Toyota driver Mark Martin finished 12th in Sunday’s rain-shortened NASCAR Sprint Cup race at Pocono Raceway. The Michael Waltrip Racing driver started 18th and began climbing through the field. The Aaron’s crew put Martin on a fuel strategy different than most of the field leaving him in the top five for some of the race and back in the pack the rest. It led to Martin restarting the race in 15th with four fresh tires while nearly all of the competitors ahead of him were on older tires. But a caution and rain washed away any chance Martin could use the four tires to gain more positions beyond 12th. A multicar accident on lap 91 followed by torrential showers ended the race on lap 98 of the schedule 160. The No. 55 returns to action Sunday at Watkins Glen International with Brian Vickers behind the wheel on the New York road course. Martin returns to the No. 55 on Aug.19 at Michigan International Speedway.
- Started 18th and finished 12th.
- Used different pit strategy than rest of the field.
- Appeared set up for a great finish restarting race in 15th with four fresh tires on lap 91.
- Multicar accident on lap 91 followed by torrential rain permitted Martin to climb only to 12th.
MARTIN: “Oh man I wish we could have restarted that race. The Aaron’s Dream Machine was on four fresh tires and we had a fast car. I know we could have passed a lot of cars. A 12th place finish isn’t too bad. I’m real proud of my crew today they did a great job and gave me a great car. We were right where we wanted to be, but we can’t control the rain.”
- Jeff Gordon won the race.
- Kasey Kahne, Truex, Brad Keselowski, and Tony Stewart rounded out the top-five finishers.
- The race took one hour and 45 minutes.
- Rain delayed the race about two hours and ended the race on lap 98 of scheduled 160.
- The race featured 13 lead changes among 10 drivers.
- Three cautions slowed the race for 14 laps.
- NASCAR estimated the attendance at 85,000.