Mark Martin owns three poles in just 10 races in the 2012 season, leading a Michael Waltrip Racing team that has captured four poles in the first 13 races. The No. 55 Aaron’s Dream Machine Toyota driver plans to add to those totals this weekend at Pocono International Raceway.
The 2.5-mile triangle will look a whole lot different than the track where Martin has started 50 NASCAR Sprint Cup races. In addition to the newly repaved surface, Sunday’s race is now 400 miles instead of 500 miles. All teams will test at Pocono on Wednesday and Thursday then begin a normal race weekend schedule on Friday.
MARK MARTIN ON POCONO: “Thank goodness for 400 miles. There’ll still be plenty of time for racing. I love that place. I don’t know how good it is going to be for racing with the new pavement. I wish they hadn’t paved it, but we’ll deal with it and I am sure it will be a fine paving job and will be good for the fans for many years to come. Normally, new pavement isn’t as conducive for great racing as old pavement. It’s a tremendous challenge from a tire manufacturers standpoint, it’s incredibly fast and makes it hard to pass. Old worn out race tracks let the drivers search around for the best lane. If we could get away without paving tracks then I think that is best. I’ll get to find out from the driver’s seat.”
WINNING POLES: “I couldn’t win poles without the fastest cars and that’s what (crew chief) Rodney Childers, the crew on the Aaron’s Dream Machine, and everyone at MWR is giving me. Plus, the power we’re getting from TRD all year has been great. All of us are still learning each other and I expect to keep getting better and better.”
- POCONO: In 50 Sprint Cup starts at Pocono, Martin owns 19 top-five finishes – the most of any driver. Daytona, Pocono, Indianapolis, Kentucky and Homestead are only active Sprint Cup tracks where Martin has yet to win.
- POLES: Martin owns three poles in just 10 races in 2012. Last weekend at Dover, he won his third pole of the 2012 season and 54th of his career. Only seven drivers have won more Sprint Cup poles in their careers. Martin also owns 30 Nationwide and three Camping World Truck Series poles.
- WALTRIP AT CMT AWARDS: Michael Waltrip will walk the red carpet in Nashville on Wednesday night as part of the 2012 Country Music Television Awards.
- CHASSIS – Primary – Chassis 720 – This chassis raced at Kansas and Las Vegas. Backup – Chassis 726 has raced at Fontana and Darlington.
- DRIVE FOR THE COVER: Activision and NASCAR Team Properties have created an exciting campaign that invites fans to vote for their favorite NASCAR driver to be featured on the cover of NASCAR The Game: Inside Line due to be released this fall. The campaign will position 32 drivers in a five-round bracket-style tournament to select the cover driver for this year’s game. Click here to vote for Martin.
- AARON’S: Right now during Aaron’s 2000th Store Celebration you are pre-approved for up to $2000 in merchandise.* Aaron’s is your trusted source for quality lease to own furniture, electronics, appliances & computers at guaranteed low prices. Shop at your nearest Aaron’s store location or Aarons.com to view our lease-to-own products, including dining room tables, TVs, tablets, appliances, computers & more…*PRE-APPROVAL minimum requirements include, but are not limited to, a source of income, a place to live and 3 references.
- STATISTICS: For Mark Martin statistics Click Here
Happy Hour Practice:
Friday, June 8, 3:30 pm/et
Saturday, June 9, 11:00 am/et
Sunday, June 10, 1:00 pm/et