Mark Martin Race Summary: No.55 Aaron’s Dream Machine Toyota driver Mark Martin finished 14th in Sunday’s 400-mile NASCAR Sprint Cup race at Dover International Speedway. Martin won the 54th pole of his career and third of the 2012 season on Saturday. When the green flag fell Sunday, Martin dropped to second but grabbed the lead on lap 7 and kept it for the next 23 laps. The Michael Waltrip Racing driver led 43 laps during the race. Late race handling issues kept him from battling for a top-five finish. Martin and the Aaron’s Dream Machine return to action Sunday at Pocono International Raceway. The Pocono schedule also includes testing there Wednesday and Thursday.
- Started first and finished 14th
- Won 54th career pole and third of 2012 on Saturday.
- Fell to second at start but took over lead on lap 7 holding it for 23 laps.
- Led 43 laps during the race.
MARTIN QUOTE: “Are you satisfied with the way your Camry ran at Dover? “We did run well. I’m proud of the effort by the guys. We had a pretty strong Aaron’s Dream Machine Toyota. We need race cars like that to be a contender. We’ll keep working on it. We’re learning these race cars. I think it’s one of the best performances that we’ve had. I think we’re making some progress.”
- Jimmie Johnson beat Kevin Harvick to finish line by 2.55 seconds.
- Matt Kenseth, Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Clint Bowyer rounded out the top five.
- Seven cautions slowed the race for 32 laps.
- Multi-car accident on lap 9 stopped race for 19 minutes.
- Seven leaders traded the lead 17 times.
- Nineteen cars finished on the lead lap.
- NASCAR estimated 85,000 fans in attendance.