Mark Martin Race Summary: No.55 Aaron’s Dream Machine Toyota driver Mark Martin saw a sure top-10 finish go up in smoke in the final laps of Sunday’s 400-mile race at Michigan International Speedway. Martin appeared to secure a seventh-place finish when he reported engine trouble in the final 10 laps. Martin tried but could not make it to the checkered flag and finished 29th. Until the ending, Martin posted as fast of lap times as any of the 43 drivers. After starting 14th, the Michael Waltrip Racing driver moved as high as second and never ran outside the top 10. Martin’s next race is July 29 at Indianapolis. Brian Vickers will drive the No. 55 this weekend on the road course at Sonoma.
TO SEE THE RECAP VIDEO, CLICK HERE
- Started 14th and moved to second in the first half of the race.
- With 80 to go, Martin used Aaron’s Lucky Dog Free pass due to caution falling a few laps after No. 55 made a green flag stop.
- Appeared to secure a seventh-place finish before engine issues ended his race.
- Finished five laps before the end of the race.
MARTIN QUOTE: “This was a heck of a Camry and a heck of an Aaron’s race team. All these guys are so smart and so talented. I had a fast, fast race car and I just salute all the guys on the team. They are all great and I am so proud of them.”
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. won the race by 5.393 seconds over Tony Stewart.
- Matt Kenseth, Greg Biffle and Jimmie Johnson rounded out the top five.
- The race took two hours and 52 minutes.
- The race featured 23 lead changes among 14 drivers.
- The race was slowed by eight cautions for 39 laps.
- NASCAR estimated the attendance at 82,000.